Friday, March 11, 2011

Maple Oatmeal Scones

I adore scones and I have a backlog of scone recipes waiting to be made (Hello, Nutella Scones!). These scones are slightly different than any other recipe I've made because they call for eggs and I generally make scones when I am out of eggs. The scones bake up nice and big and fluffy. In fact, this is the lightest scone I've made yet.  What I really like about this recipe is the whole wheat flour and oats, which add a little whole grain goodness to an otherwise sweet treat. I substituted plain yogurt for buttermilk because that's what I had on hand.



Maple Oatmeal Scones
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1 Tablespooon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sucanat
1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter
1/4 cup yogurt
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 eggs

Glaze
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 Tablespoons maple syrup
Milk

In a large bowl whisk together flours, oats, baking powder, sugar and salt. Using two knives or a pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture is in pea-sized lumps. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt and maple syrup. Make a well in the flour mixture and add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Gently stir just until dough forms.  Pat dough out in to a disk on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Cut disk in to 8 wedges. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Allow scones to cool on a baking rack.

For the glaze, mix together sugar, vanilla and maple syrup. Add enough milk to make the icing spreadable.  Drizzle over scones.

Adapted from Tammy's Recipes.

2 Thoughts From Others:

ErinOrtlund said...

Mmmmmmm...looks good!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I am crazy for scones and I love maple syrup too. My 11 year old made scones once and really enjoyed it. I think I'll ask him to make these for me :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin