Friday, December 25, 2009

A Simple Christmas

It is Christmas evening and we have just put our littlest ones to bed. We began our Christmas celebration today in a very simple manner. We had my parents and sister over for dinner and spent the rest of the day cooking and lazing about. Ella and I took an hour nap, snuggled together in my bed. Miles spent an inordinate amount of time this evening just sitting on my lap, fiddling with an old store receipt. We had an impromptu visit from dear friends who will soon be far away from us. Ella opened exactly one "present" today and it wasn't really even a present. It was a dollar store toy I had in the car from a party last week. She played with it all day and took it to bed with her tonight.

As my husband and I brought down the presents and filled stockings this evening, I wondered if perhaps it was all even necessary. My kids were happy today with the one dollar store toy and just spending the day with us with no errands and no distractions. I am so eager as a parent to make my kids holidays special that perhaps I've overlooked what really makes them feel special: our undivided attention.

I keep trying to work out what makes Christmas special in our home and to balance the Christmas "Crazies" with the true meaning behind our celebration. Today was definitely an eye opener for me. Christmas can truly be a simple and special day.

0 Thoughts From Others:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin