Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Make It Homemade: Hamburger Buns


Bread products are for me the easiest items to make homemade. I've been making my own bread for over a year now. I used to just take my bread dough and form it into bun-like forms for hamburgers or hot dog buns. The buns were OK, but they were not like the hamburger and hot dog buns we are used to. So I was SUPER excited when I saw an actual recipe for hamburger buns on Amy's blog, The Finer Things in Life.

The down side to this recipe is that you need vital wheat gluten. I happen to keep the stuff in my pantry because I do a lot of baking but it is not exactly an every day pantry item. I don't think, however, that vital wheat gluten is IMPERATIVE in this recipe; it just lightens up the bread.

I made the recipe exactly as Amy posted using Method 2 (non-bread machine) with the following changes:
1) I used Sucanat instead of honey because I was lazy.
2) I used all white flour because I don't have any whole wheat in the house.
3) I used 3 Tablespoons butter and 3 Tablespoons coconut oil

The problem I had is that the recipe does not say how to form the buns (roll in to a ball, tuck under, etc) so mine were kind of funky. I saw a recipe the other day, however, that said to roll in to a ball, put the dough ball on the pan, and then flatten a bit with your hand. Let rise. I'll try that next time!

Let me know if you make these, have made these, or have another hamburger/hot dog bun recipe to share!


1 Thoughts From Others:

Anonymous said...

Oh I'll have to try this someday soon ! Mary

Blog Widget by LinkWithin