Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Make It Homemade: Croutons

I have two gallon sized freezer bags full of bread bits and pieces in my freezer. I throw in bread that is going stale and make bread crumbs as needed. I do not, however, use a lot of bread crumbs and I was getting annoyed at these two huge bags taking up space in my freezer!

And then Daily Decadent wrote a post on making croutons. I happened to need some croutons for a Valentine's Day Cesar Salad and it seemed easy and quick (it was!).

I let my bread thaw out a bit, but in retrospect, it would have chopped up better frozen. I had A LOT of crumbs, which I dumped back in to a bag for use as bread crumbs. I used a mix of hamburger rolls, hot dog buns, and whole wheat dinner rolls (that never quite rose properly). I chopped them all up, threw them in a large bowl and drizzled with olive oil. I sprinkled on oregano, parsley, garlic powder and garlic salt and stirred. They baked for 20 minutes at 200 degrees then I stirred. They baked again for 15 minutes and I stirred. Then I had to leave the house so I just turned off the oven and left for a few hours. My husband declared them "delicious" so I guess they turned out just fine!

0 Thoughts From Others:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin