Thursday, August 5, 2010

Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches

A few weeks ago my neighbor mentioned that her husband makes French Dip sandwiches in the their slow cooker using lunch meat roast beef and an envelope of au jus mix. The conversation got me craving a French Dip, but I am not a big fan of processed meat or mixes so I improvised. These sandwiches are delicious!

Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches

3-5 lb roast (I used a chuck roast)
1/2 onion chopped, diced, or sliced (however you like it -- I diced mine)
2.5 cups beef broth
1/2 cup red wine (optional -- you can increase the water)
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
pepper to taste
Crusty rolls
Cheese (provolone, swiss, mozzarella, white American)

Trim fat from roast. Heat oil in a large skillet. Season roast with salt and pepper. Sear roast in pan on both sides until browned. Put roast in slow cooker. Add onions and then all liquids (broth, wine, water). Add onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and celery salt and stir to dissolve. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender enough to shred.

Remove meat from slow cooker and shred. Place shredded beef on rolls and top with cheese. Broil sandwiches, open faced, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Dip top of rolls in to au jus in the slow cooker and place on top of the broiled bun. Serve sandwiches with a small dish of au jus for dipping.

3 Thoughts From Others:

Chief Family Officer said...

Hi Camille! I was just wondering if you did something to your feed, because it's not updating in Google Reader anymore. I just realized that I hadn't seen anything new from you in a long time and stopped by to see if everything was okay. (Glad to see that it is!)

Camille said...

Well, I haven't been posting much this summer -- it's been BUSY! But my domain was hijacked a few months back so I'm publishing at growingupgabel.blogspot.com. I think that feed is working but I'll check it!

Chief Family Officer said...

Bummer! That sucks. I've updated to the new feed and it's working great :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin