Friday, April 17, 2009

Make It From Scratch: Colored Sugar


We were at Wal-Mart a few days after Easter so I perused the Easter clearance for some bargains. I came upon a Wilton shaker with 6 or so different "sprinkle" toppings for cookies, cakes, and such. The price, at 50% off, was $2.98. YIKES! That is for approximately 6 oz total of decorations. That shaker was selling for $6 full price. That's over $12/lb!!

I got to thinking -- there has to be a way to make sprinkles on your own. Half of the sprinkles in the in shaker are just colored sugar. Sure, I can't replicate teeny tiny tulips in an array of pastels, but colored sugar has got to be easy. Turns out you can color sugar in your very own kitchen.

Now, if I could only figure out a way to make chocolate sprinkles, we'd be all set.

0 Thoughts From Others:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin