Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Make It Homemade: Candy "Bars"

Last year I decided that this year I would do a "homemade" Easter for our kids. I am working on a nice long post on how to do that and should have it up in a week so you have plenty of time to plan ahead if you want to have a homemade Easter, too.

Yesterday Kate at Stolen Moments Cooking posted this recipe for "Empty Pantry Candy" that would work beautifully for an easy and inexpensive Easter basket treat. The candy took me about 10 minutes to make.

I melted 8 ounces of chocolate (Dove Double Chocolate melting bars from Valentine's Day but chocolate chips work) and about 1/3 cup peanut butter. I used natural peanut butter and was a little nervous about the extra oil, but it was just fine. Then I stirred in peanuts, dried cranberries, crushed pretzels, and mini marshmallows. Other items in my pantry that didn't make the cut this time included coconut, pecans, Fritos, raisins, and Girl Scout cookies. The possibilities are endless.

I smoothed the mixture on to a Silpat on a baking sheet and let it cool in the fridge. When it was set, I just broke it into pieces much like a chocolate bark. If you wanted it to be more like "bars", you could easily put it into a greased 8 inch square pan. Package the candy in to cellophane bags or wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper for the Easter basket. I've been storing my candy in the fridge to make sure it doesn't melt so keep that in mind for the baskets!

My daughter discovered the peanuts in the candy so now she won't eat it... darn....



3 Thoughts From Others:

Blaine from Silicone Bakeware said… said...

This looks like a great treat for Easter. Grand kids are coming over so will try it. I just purchased a large Silpat Baking Mat at a fantastic price, so can't wait to try it out as well.

Camille said...

My Silpat gets more use than anything else in my kitchen! I'm actually on my second one -- the other one lasted 5 years, but we weren't nice to it. We have been much more careful with this one!

The Deal Fanatic said...

Hi there...Can I just say yummy!!! That looks fabulous and I know my twins would love it. I must try.

I came over from A Thrifty Mom's post on Albertson's and so glad I did. It's always lovely to meet other Las Vegas Bloggers. You have awesome treats. I will be making your spot a must.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin