Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Crock Pot Oatmeal

I have been so lazy about breakfast lately -- we've been eating cold cereal for months. A few weeks ago I ran out of Cheerios and now all I have is sugar cereal, which is reserved for weekends only, so we've been eating a lot of toast! I've been meaning to try making oatmeal in the Crock Pot for a while and finally got my act together Sunday night to prepare it. I used the recipe from Southern Plate as a guide (although I've seen it elsewhere as well). I made mine with steel cut oats (I prefer them) and used all water (so 5 cups) instead of milk because frankly, it's cheaper. I am not a fan of raisins, but Ella likes them so I added in a few handfuls of those, too. I put it all in my smaller Crock Pot (I think it's a 3 or 3.5 quart) and cooked overnight on low for about 12 hours. I didn't use the water bath method. I just dumped everything in and turned it on.

I think I cooked it a little too long because the oatmeal was very sturdy -- I prefer mine a bit moist. You can add a tad more liquid or cut the cooking time by a few hours (I'm guessing). I like creamer in my oatmeal, though, so it was all good. We mixed in brown sugar and cinnamon. There was plenty to go around and we had enough for this morning and definitely for tomorrow with just two of us eating it.

I loved waking up to a nice hot breakfast with no effort on my part whatsoever! We will definitely be having this often

0 Thoughts From Others:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin