Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How to (Easily) Wash Plastic Storage Bags

Like many frugal minded people, I can't bear to throw away plastic (ie Ziploc) bags after only one use. But I hate washing them out! I have tried avoiding storing food that makes the bags messy, but it didn't work. A few weeks ago I ended up with about 20 or so bags needing washing. UGH.

After my success washing shower curtain liners in the washing machine, I wondered if it would work with my plastic storage bags. IT DID!! I turned all the bags inside out so they would be more open when washing. I made sure to rinse off any excess food before throwing them in the washing machine. I ran a short/delicate cycle on hot with a tiny bit of Bronners soap (it's safe for food).

After the cycle was finished, I tented all the bags and stood them on towels all over my kitchen. In the morning, most of them were dry, but I live in a very dry climate so you may need to towel them off a bit.

A quick, painless and easy way to wash storage bags definitely works for me!

6 Thoughts From Others:

Amy @ BloggingWithAmy.com said...

Hey, I like that idea! I hate washing them out too, so more often than not, I just toss them...even though I hate to think of the cost!

Alicia said...

Wow, never would have thought of that in a million years! Crazy!

JessieLeigh said...

Wow- I would never have thought to try that! I wash mine by hand and it's such habit to me... but this is a wonderful time saving idea. Thanks for sharing.

The Halbert Home said...

Found you on WFMW, I always wash them as I go and stick them on a spatula to dry. Or over a glass to dry.

Ann said...

That's a good idea... saves time and probably uses less water than standing at the sink washing and rinsing each one.

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

For my dry ziploc items (like bread, waffles, etc.) I've just been marking the bags with a Sharpie and folding them up to store in a drawer. Now it's just a matter of remembering they're in there instead of taking a new bag!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin