Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Salsa Verde


I had never heard of a tomatillo or salsa verde until we moved out west 6 years ago. If they were available, I certainly didn't pay any attention to them! My introduction to salsa verde was in Albuquerque, New Mexico when a waiter asked if I wanted "red or green" with my meal. He was asking what kind of chili sauce I wanted. I fell in love with salsa verde at that meal. This super easy and quick recipe means salsa verde can now be a staple in my kitchen. Finding a bag of tomatillos on manager's special for $.22 makes this even better!

If you aren't familiar with salsa verde, you can use it like taco sauce, salsa, or enchilada sauce.

Salsa Verde

10 tomatillos, husked
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves (or more or less)
1 pepper, chopped (poblano or green; jalapeno if you want some heat)
Juice from 1/2 lime (I didn't have this so I skipped it)
A few sprigs of cilantro (optional)
A dash or more of hot sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large skillet. Cook all ingredients until the tomatillos are softening and brighten a bit in color, about 10 minutes. Put everything in to a blender or food processor and blend until liquid.

I put mine in jars and froze them, but you could also can these or freeze in freezer bags.

This recipe is from Debi Does Dinner.

1 Thoughts From Others:

Sarah Kay said...

I just got some tomatillos at the farmers market to make some Cafe Rio dressing. I like tomatillos too!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin