Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Favorite Christmas Gift

My 4 year old daughter, Ella,  is one of the most strong-willed and independent people I have ever met. I spend much of my time trying to figure out how to stay one step ahead of her. Don't get me wrong -- she is also sweet, funny, creative and beguiling, but she definitely keeps me on my toes.



I would really like to homeschool my children, but my daughter has refused every single attempt I've made at any type of "school"ish activity. I really wanted her to learn her letters this school year. That's it. Just recognize the letter and put the correct name to it. Every time I attempted to engage in her a fun activity to learn letters, she refused to cooperate. I gave up on "A" sometime back in September.



Imagine my sheer delight and utter surprise when she drew me this picture at breakfast Christmas morning:

I cried I was so happy! I hate to admit it, but I think I have the PBS show "SuperWhy" to thank for this because I certainly have not been working with her.

I'm not much of a "keeper" -- I tend to throw things out quickly, but this piece of paper is going in a frame. Someday when Ella tells me she can't do it, I'll show her this and tell her, "oh yes you can!"

3 Thoughts From Others:

Chief Family Officer said...

Aw, that's so sweet! I'm glad you had a great Christmas. Have a very Happy New Year!

Sarah Kay said...

PBS ROCKS! I credit Signing Time for teaching my girls sign language, then (as they got older) Sesame Street for teaching them their numbers and letters, and Super Why and Word World for helping them put it all together!

gifts Philippines said...

This is an interesting article. I like this cool gift ideas and I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for guiding me through this. Rarely do I find good entries that would walk me through. Great post.

toni

Blog Widget by LinkWithin