Friday, December 31, 2010

"Plain" Pancakes

We eat a lot of pancakes. My kids would eat them at least 5 days a week and sometimes we do! I love to try new pancake recipes -- looking for the perfect one! I have found that a minimum of 3 teaspoons of baking powder is required for fluffiness and butter is needed for good flavor. This pancake recipe is my current favorite. It produces light, fluffy pancakes that brown easily without burning. It takes a few extra steps, but it's worth it.

This recipe is from my new favorite cookbook The Breakfast Book by Marion Cunningham. I don't often buy cookbooks because I can usually find what I want on the internet for free, but this book is a keeper.

I suggest doubling this if you want any leftovers at all.

"Plain" Pancakes
2 eggs
5 Tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cups flour
1 Tablespoon sugar (or sucanat)
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt

Put butter and milk in a small saucepan and warm on low until butter is melted.  Allow to cool. Beat eggs in a bowl. Mix milk/butter mixture in to eggs once it is cool enough -- you don't want to cook the eggs! Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Add wet ingredients. Stir just until combined. Cook on hot griddle or in a frying pan.

2 Thoughts From Others:

Anonymous said...

This is the best pancake recipe. I have been making it for years and my family and friends love these pancakes!

Unknown said...

I think there was a typo in the recipe in the book. 4 ts. Of baking powder is way too salt and bitter

Blog Widget by LinkWithin