Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Make It Homemade: Donuts



I've been wanting to make my own donuts for months, but in general, I really dislike deep fat frying. It just grosses me out for some reason.  But when I saw this recipe for chocolate donuts, I had to try them. The sour cream and coffee as ingredients had me intrigued.  I substituted cocoa powder for the bittersweet chocolate (3 Tablespoons of powder and 1 Tablespoon of oil/butter for every 1 oz or 1 square of chocolate) and fried them in coconut oil. 

These donuts on their own are not overly sweet, which I appreciated. I can't handle a lot of sweetness! I used this glaze , which added just the right touch and made them  just sweet enough. I substituted honey for the corn syrup in the glaze recipe and it worked wonderfully!



I really liked these donuts, but I did something wrong because they were very dense, almost like a heavy cake. I may have overworked dough (I mis-read the instructions on adding the flour mixture). I definitely need to try again and use a lighter hand. Or I may have not fried them enough or fried them too long. I'm not really sure! But I still recommend the recipe for a fun treat.

And you can use the leftover glaze to dip strawberries in -- my husband's fine idea!


0 Thoughts From Others:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin