Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Trip to the Dentist

Last summer on our way to Michigan for a visit, Ella tripped in the Memphis airport and chipped her front tooth. I've been keeping my eye on it ever since. About a month or so ago I noticed the gum above it was filled with fluid and my husband guessed the tooth was abscessed. I put off going to the dentist mostly because we don't have dental insurance and I hate pulling money out of our emergency fund -- even though this is exactly why we have the fund. But after a month of gums swelling, it was time to go.

I have to say that we found the best pediatric dentist in the world! The office is pink and purple and the staff all wear tee shirts. They have Disney movies playing where the kids can watch them while being worked on. Ella had her nails polished while waiting! It was amazing and the prices were reasonable (they gave us a decent cash discount).

Unfortunately, the tooth has to come out. Did I mention it is her RIGHT FRONT TOOTH!! She will have a gap until the adult tooth grows in somewhere between 6 and 9 years old. I don't even have any cavities so I have no idea what to expect from the procedure (even though they walked me through it and assured me it will be tougher on me than her). I hate putting my kids through something like this (Miles' surgery in June was an utter nightmare for me thanks to his bad reaction to the anesthesia), but if left in the infection in the tooth will most likely spread to other parts of her body. I'm doing my best to prepare her, but there is only so much I can say. Thankfully, her strong will and independence make her one tough nut so I'm sure she'll make it through just fine. If only I could say the same about me!

3 Thoughts From Others:

Chief Family Officer said...

I'm sorry you have to go through that, Camille! It sounds awful but I'm very glad you found a great dentist - that should make a HUGE difference!

Meredith said...

What rotten luck.

If it makes you feel any better, my Andrew had to have his right front tooth extracted (age 7). They gave him an oral sedative to prevent gagging and also the novocaine shots. He really didn't remember anything and had very little pain afterward.

We are still waiting for the adult tooth to descend, though!

Camille said...

Yes, Cathy!! Ella was so at ease at the office, I'm sure it will make it easier.

Thanks for the info, Meredith! I'm just hoping this doesn't ruin going to the dentist for her.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin