Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ditch the Store Bough Crackers

I made graham crackers yesterday. They were quick, easy, and delicious! Ella loves crackers, but the organic ones are pricey and the cheap ones aren't organic so I almost never buy them. These, however, are keepers. I found the graham flour in a small clear bag at Sunflower Farmer's Market, but I 'm sure they have it any "natural" grocery store. They did not have it at my Wal-Mart.




Homemade Graham Crackers
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup graham flour (whole wheat)
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. unsalted butter (or margarine)
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup water
1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all the ingredients in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix until smooth and well combined, scraping down the bowl to make sure the butter is not stuck to the sides.

Spread the graham cracker dough onto a piece of parchment or a silpat. (I used my silpat)

Lay another piece of parchment or wax paper over the dough and roll it out with a rolling pin, until about an 1/8-inch thick. The thinner you get it the crisper the crackers and quicker they will bake. (I had problems getting it as thin as I wanted, but I have issues with rolling pins. I divided the dough in to 2 parts -- there was way too much to fit on one sheet.)

Peel off the top parchment/wax paper and transfer the bottom parchment with dough onto a cookie sheet.

Bake for about 8 minutes and then turn the cookie sheet around and bake for another 5-8 minutes. The crackers should be golden brown.

Cool on a rack. Once the cracker is cool you can break up into pieces.

0 Thoughts From Others:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin