Thursday, April 3, 2008

Cajun Beans and Rice

I posted this on my menu a few weeks ago and my sister asked for the recipe. Here you go!

Cajun Style Beans & Rice
48 oz of pinto beans (I use 3 cans of whatever I have)
5 T of margarine
1 C chopped onion
1 C green onion (I usually omit because I don't have it on hand)
1/2 c green pepper (I use frozen mixed color peppers)
1 t minced garlic
1 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
2 Bay leaves (I omit)
1/4 t dried basil
1/4 t hot red pepper sauce
3 C chicken broth or stock
3 C Abed smoked ham (I use Italian sausage -- about 2-3 links -- take out of casing and brown first)

In a large pot melt margarine. Saute onion, half the green onion, green pepper,& garlic about 5 minute until soft. Add in chicken broth, beans, salt, pepper, Bay leaves, basil, hot pepper sauce, and meat. Simmer 30-45 minutes stirring often. At the end of cooking time, mash some beans to thicken sauce.

Serve over rice and garnish with 1/2 cup green onions (I don't),

0 Thoughts From Others:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin